Monday, January 19, 2015

In The Begining There Was Plastic

So it began. The adventure of a lifetime. You knew your path and you knew tools and you knew skills. Please continue...

PROF- Of course not knowing anything about quadcopters, I started with a V-Tail because it “looked cool” which in hindsight was probably a big mistake. I read everything I could on online forums about scratch building a V-Tail and nowhere did anyone mention how difficult a V-Tail would be for a beginner to fly. (Of course one big hint was that a friend said he had enough V-Tail Quad parts to build the next Space Station if I wanted them free.) Kind of that ‘take over payments’ thing that fathers say about their 20 year old daughters.

That said, the peak elevation that I ever achieved was just high enough for a very hard landing. After rebuilding and crashing it several more times, it is now retired in the Boeing Air Museum. (Damn that gravity thing again.)

That was the start of my long and winding road. The Pursuit. The never ending confrontation with evil. And my new found appreciation of the Internet.

I should also mention that I live on an island and trying to find anything about building a quadcopter from scratch is only learned from the internet.

Why scratch build a quadcopter or any other remote control aircraft?

PROF-I guess I like a challenge and learning something new. There’s also the idea that it would be cheaper to build from parts and pieces than purchase a RTF. Man-o-man is that a slippery slope, more on that later.

What was the initial appeal?

PROF-Certainly I had hoped that there would be the feeling of accomplishment. To bring something to life from a pile of parts.

What were the major goals and milestones?

PROF-Obviously the goal was to build a great flying quadcopter. The “milestones” can only be measured in baby steps. They were so far and few between with so much disappointment laced in between that celebrating the tiniest achievements kept me going.

What are the basic components of such a device?

PROF: In the simplest terms it a body with four arms, four motors, four props, four electronic speed controls (ESC), a flight controller (FC) or main controller (MC), a receiver and a battery plus a transmitter to control its flight. How simple is that? Just get on the internet and start ordering parts, remember I live on an island without a hobby shop!

But wait! The frames come in many different sizes; the motors varied and have confusing terminology, 1100KV. 1100 Kilovolts? No, that would be 1100 RPM’s per volt, who knew?



When should someone consider a scratch build approach?

PROF: When they have access to a good flying club and hopefully a good hobby shop. Doing it isolated like I did is very difficult and frustrating to say the least. It has taken me years to get to a point the others could achieve in months with local support.

I believe that once a person has purchased an RTF and got some hours on it, which includes repairing it after crashing, would be a good candidate.

I’ve read many threads on the multirotor forums warning against the path I took and I can certainly attest to that.

What are the steps to starting a scratch build quadcopter?

PROF: Do as I say not as I did!

First, buy an inexpensive Ready to Fly helicopter such as the Syma 107s. They are a great training tool and fly only indoors because they operate on infrared. Once you have the basic skills of flying rotor craft, go buy a cheap little mini or micro quad like the Hubsan H107 and start flying it outside, though they are quite small and need still air. And then when you are completely addicted like the rest of us, move up to something bigger but still a RTF and around $100. These steps are really necessary as even the most stable of quads such as the DJI Phantoms still require basic if not advanced flying skill. You don’t want to lose or destroy a $600+ quad.

Last year a friend bought a Phantom2 and equipped it with a Zenmuse 3D gimbal and GoPro Hero3. Finding the manual a bit boring, he immediately took the P2 up and out of sight. Gone. He called it a ‘run away’. I called it something. Learn to fly.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment