Sunday, January 25, 2015

What Would the Iron Chef Do?


What worked and what didn’t?
PROF: My 3D printed V-tail quad definitely did not work. I still have the frame and my someday give it another try but for now I just want to go fly and have fun.

My DX6i did not work with the NAZA and gimbal because it didn’t have enough channels for everything.
Plugging the wrong motor connector into the wrong port on the transmitter definitely does not work; it breaks props as the quad does a backflip during takeoff.

(Always those little details that cause big-time problems.)

Flying in a confined area with power lines, trees and houses doesn’t work either.

(Trees seek out and eat quads of all brands and flavors.)

Not doing enough homework up-front is a recipe for a long, expensive and winding road.

Learning to fly a micro quad around the house really helps develop “thumbs”. You really need good “thumbs” if you’re ever going to get good at this sport.

The combination of everything I have mounted on HAL and my transmitter seemed to work really well together. But recent events like really short flight times have changed my mind on the motors and props. Here’s a list of what’s on HAL.
Here is Professor Scratcher's  current confirmation.

Quad Frame:

Turnigy HAL Quad

HK Power Distribution Board

10” X 4.5” Gemfan Carbon Fill Propellers

 

Onboard Electronics:

NAZA-M Lite MC

Taranis X8R Receiver

FrSky FLV SS LiPo Voltage Sensor

HK Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm

Turnigy Multistar 3525-850Kv 14 Pole Multi-Rotor Outrunner Motors

Tyrnigy Plush 30A ESC

2 Zippy 4000 mAh 3S 25C LiPo Pack

 

            Total Weight:

4 Pounds 9 ½ Ounces [2027 grams]   

 

        Transmitter:

          Taranis X9D Plus Transmitter

 

              First Person View Setup:

Onboard SkyZone 5.8 Ghz 8 Channel Transmitter for FPV

Tarot 2D Gimbal

600 mAh 2S Lipo for FPV/Gimbal

On Transmitter SkyZone RC805 5.8 Ghz 8 Channel Receiver

Zippy 4000 mAh 3S 25C LiPo Pack for Monitor

600 mAh 2S Lipo for FPV on transmitter Receiver

ReadyMadeRC 8” LCD FPV Monitor


How would you go about the project differently today?

PROF: I would do a lot more reading and understanding of the dynamics and interaction between every single component before buying a single piece.

I think I would map out the project in either a flow chart or spreadsheet.

I would define my goals at the very beginning and not just casually go off thinking that “this will be simple, just stick some motors on some arms and go fly”. Believe me that just don’t happen.

The good news about all of this is that I probably know ten times more about my quad and transmitter than if I had someone standing over my shoulder telling me what to do or had bought an ARF.

No comments:

Post a Comment