Thursday, October 23, 2014

Checking It Twice


When I graduated from college, I was fortunate enough to make it into and through US Naval Flight Officer School. Anyone who has ever flown an airplane knows the first rule is to ‘work the checklist’ and flying a video quad requires the same dedication to following the checklist. Today, I have a sequenced checklist with seventeen mandatory steps for capturing compelling video which which hopefully has that happy ending  where I have that precious .jpg file on that mini SD card in my hand and not at bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

Of course, combining technology with video skills plus a checklist is simply a reasonable start. The next prerequisite for that compelling video thing is weather. Nothing ruins a quad video adventure faster than wind and fog. In my case, it takes an hour and a half to drive to the Pacific Coast. That is a three hour investment in time, so checking weather forecasts and/or checking webcams is a great hedge against disappointment. The DJI Phantom will tolerate 10MPH winds but the video can get a little shaky even with the Zenmuse gyro stabilizing camera gimbal. Check the forecast!

But then again, before you run your checklist prior to flying over that volcano in Iceland, you might take one more invaluable undertaking.  Preflight Test. Before you head out for that ‘mother of all video sessions’ make sure that your shit works Grasshopper.

 Lesson #123.8. The other day I was going back to the Coast to video some sea lions that I had missed on a prior trip. On that prior trip, Tommy had descended a tad too low and was sprayed by a rogue wave. I decided to run a test flight while at home to make sure the salt water had not corroded some vital innards. Innards were fine but I had no FPV. After a hour of peeling the tech onion back, I found a broken film tape connector between my GoPro and Tommy. I had a spare connector and all was well. Had I not performed a complete test flight, I would have wasted 3 hours of windshield time and be faced with some very uncomfortable personal quality time with myself on the drive home.

Lesson #123.8.a. Watch out for rogue waves. Not exactly how sure to do that by the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment