Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Rocky Beginning

 
After driving for over an hour, I am on a Northern California cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean to the west. The goal is to fly my DJI Phantom 2 with GoPro off the cliff and out over the crashing waves of the huge rocks below that make up that typical California Coastline photo.

But, how did I get to this opportunity with my accompanying equipment for taking the 6 minutes video?  The success of today’s shoot will be the result combining some leading edge technology and adhering to strict procedures for getting the technology into flight and landing back where it took off from.
The flying technology that I am using is a DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter, about the size of a large boot box. The video camera is a GoPro Hero 4 Black mounted on a Zenmuse H3-3D v2 gimbal. These components are integrated into one very smooth flying video platform.
However, that is not the complete flying video solution. Though I can fly my platform visually from the cliff, I also want to see what the GoPro is ‘filming’. Therefore I have also installed a First Person Video system from Fatshark, the Attitude V2. Looking through the Fatshark goggles, I see exactly what is being captured on the GoPro. (As long as I remembered to turn the record button on.)
That somewhat summarizes the platform technology except for the many modifications that I have made to make the craft more accommodating to the task, more reliable, safer and enjoyable for me, the pilot.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment