Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Digital Pigital- Just Don’t Suck


Check this quick video out        Bean Hollow State Park, CA

Ok, we have some cool technology going for us, but technology is only technology, and that alone will not produce an enthralling visual experience for viewers. We have to add the skills of piloting and the skills of producing a compelling video. Technology, plus skills and maybe a few other things we will talk about over the weeks here.

I have a lot of experience with both still photography and video though for sure I am an amateur hobbyist. I also do quite a bit of painting and drawing. And finally I have devoured ‘How to Shoot Video That Doesn’t Suck’ by Steve Stockman. In summary, when I look at the scene in front of me, I have a vision for what I would like the recorded video to look like in the eyes of those viewing on YouTube.

Though now retired, my day job was always rooted by technology and of course that technology today is all things digital. Certainly, without digital, I would be standing at the edge of the Pacific Ocean watching the pelican fly up and down the coastline and fanaticizing as to what that experience is like. But today, I can fly out there and be one with the pelican, though I can tell you that pelicans hate DJI Phantom 2s.

So, we have technology and we blend in some of that ‘Doesn’t Suck’ video knowledge from Mr. Stockman, let’s go flying. And, at this point we have to add our third leg of the stool; processes. Yep, this stuff doesn’t magically jump into the air and capture compelling video. Someplace there has to be an ‘O-N/O-F-F’ switch placed in O-N position. In fact, for my gear, there are four on/off switches to deal with and a few other challenges to tweak before flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment